Places


  • Albert Styron's Store Icon

    Albert Styron’s Store (Historical Site)

    One of five general stores on Ocracoke during the first half of the twentieth century, Albert Styron’s store served the need of people living Down


  • Assembly Of God Church Icon

    Assembly of God Church

    The Assembly of God Church carries on the Pentecostal tradition begun in 1938 on Ocracoke Island.


  • Berkley Castle Icon

    Berkley Castle

    Influenced by both New England turn-of-the-century resort architecture and by Colonial Williamsburg style, the Castle was built in the mid-1950s by industrialist Sam Jones.


  • Blackbeard / Teach’s Hole

    In November of 1718, the governor of Virginia sent Robert Maynard of the British Royal Navy to hunt down Blackbeard. In a deep water channel off the shore of Springer’s Point, Maynard’s men overpowered the smaller pirate crew an beheaded their captain.


  • Blackbeard's Lodge Icon

    Blackbeard’s Lodge

    Built in 1938, Blackbeard’s Lodge was the first island building constructed specifically as a modern hotel.


  • Bragg Howard House Icon

    Bragg-Howard House

    This house is representative of the basic island home, the historic “story and a jump,” a diminutive frame house, one and a half stories high.


  • British Cemetery

    This small graveyard is the final resting place of four British sailors from an armed trawler torpedoed in 1942.


  • Captain Bill Thomas House Icon

    Captain Bill Thomas House

    In the harbor of St. Kitt’s in the Caribbean, Captain Thomas spied a stately home with a wide veranda and decided to have a replica built for himself and his new bride back on Ocracoke.


  • Cedar Hammock Coast Guard Station Icon

    Cedar Hammock Coast Guard Station

    The first lifesaving station on Ocracoke was built in 1883 just south of Hatteras Inlet near the current north ferry terminal.


  • Charles Lindbergh

    During a flight, Lindbergh was forced to land on a beach near the Cedar Hammock Coast Guard Station on the north end of Ocracoke.


  • Community Store (Historical Site)

    This old general store was established in 1918 and sold groceries, clothes, fishing supplies, hardware and even caskets.


  • Ferries

    The south terminal provides passage to Cedar Island and Swan Quarter while the north terminal connects Ocracoke to Hatteras Island.


  • First Automobile Accident

    In September of 1925, with only two vehicles on the entire Island, Ocracoke had it’s first automobile accident on what is now Howard Street.


  • Fort Ocracoke Icon

    Fort Ocracoke

    During the Civil War, a Confederate fort was constructed on Beacon Island, about one mile inside Ocracoke Inlet. The fort was destroyed on September 17, 1861, and in 1998, the remains were discovered.


  • Hammock Hills Nature Trail Icon

    Hammock Hills Nature Trail

    North of the village across from the NPS campground is Hammock Hills Nature Trail, a ¾ of a mile loop through some of the highest points on the island.


  • Howard Cemetery

    The Howard Cemetery is one of the oldest on the island and one of the largest. George Howard, son of the last Colonial owner, is buried here.


  • Howard Street

    Howard Street is a North Carolina treasure. No other street has the history and charm it boasts.


  • Island Inn (Historical Site)

    Built in 1901, the upper floor of the main section was used as the meeting room for the Odd Fellows Lodge. The lower floor was used as a schoolhouse.


  • Lehigh

    Approaching Ocracoke from the south or west the ferry will pass two metal piles in Big Foot Slough Channel. They are part of a dredge which sank in 1942.


  • Live Oak Trees

    Ocracoke Island boasts a number of magnificent Southern Live Oaks, many of them hundreds of years old.


  • loop shack hill icon

    Loop Shack Hill

    A U.S. Navy installation designed to detect and deter U-boats off the North Carolina Coast during World War II.


  • Ocracoke United Methodist Church Icon

    Methodist Church

    After a many years with two Methodist Episcopal Churches on the island, the congregations merged to form the Ocracoke United Methodist Church.


  • Naval Base Icon

    Naval Base

    During World War II, the US Navy built a base on Ocracoke Island to patrol the coast and deter U-boat attacks.


  • Beach Jumper Icon

    Navy Beach Jumpers

    During WWII, the U.S. Navy used Ocracoke for a top-secret base for training a specialized unit in psychological warfare and deception.


  • NCCAT Icon

    NCCAT Ocracoke Campus

    The historic old Coast Guard building houses the Ocracoke branch of the North Carolina Center for the Advancement of Teaching.


  • NPS Visitors Center Icon

    NPS Campground

    The National Park Service campground on Ocracoke is located approximately three miles northeast of the village on N.C. Highway 12


  • NPS Visitors Center Icon

    NPS Lifeguarded Beach

    The NPS life-guarded beach on Ocracoke Island is part of Cape Hatteras National Seashore, one of the most beautiful beaches on the eastern seaboard.


  • NPS Visitors Center Icon

    NPS Visitor Center

    Ocracoke is part of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. There are many programs offered at the National Park Service Visitor Center on Ocracoke.


  • Ocracoke Library Icon

    Ocracoke Library

    For many years Ocracoke boasted the tiniest public library in the United States. The current library replaced the 96 square foot small wood frame building in 1998.


  • Ocracoke Lighthouse Icon

    Ocracoke Lighthouse

    Ocracoke Island’s most prominent landmark is its 75′ tall lighthouse built in 1823.


  • Ocracoke Ponies

    Ocracoke is home to a herd of wild ponies descended from Spanish Mustangs introduced by early colonists.


  • Ocracoke Preservation Museum Icon

    Ocracoke Preservation Museum

    The Ocracoke Preservation Society is a non-profit, community-based organization dedicated to the preservation of Ocracoke Island’s rich historical and cultural heritage.


  • Ocracoke School Icon

    Ocracoke School

    Ocracoke has the smallest public school in the state of North Carolina. The school averages just over 6 graduates per year.


  • Ocracoke Working Watermen’s Association

    The Ocracoke Working Watermen’s Association Exhibit presents artifacts and information pertaining to Ocracoke’s commercial fishing heritage.


  • Off-Road Driving

    The National Park Service on Ocracoke Island provides several ramps and trails that can be used by off-road vehicles to access the beach and the soun


  • Old Post Office Icon

    Old Post Office

    A History of the United States Post Office at Ocracoke.


  • Portsmouth

    Now a ghost town, Portsmouth was a thriving port village in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century.


  • Silver Lake icon

    Silver Lake

    Native islanders almost always refer to Silver Lake Harbor as “The Creek.” More formally it is called “Cockle Creek,” a name used for generations.


  • Springer's Point Icon

    Springer’s Point

    Springer’s Point is the last maritime forest remaining in Ocracoke Village. Off its shore is Teach’s Hole, where Blackbeard’s last battle took place.


  • USLSS Boathouse

    In 1883 the US government established the island’s first Life Saving Station near Hatteras Inlet.