Boats and Ships
The south terminal provides passage to Cedar Island and Swan Quarter while the north terminal connects Ocracoke to Hatteras Island.
Approaching Ocracoke from the south or west the ferry will pass two metal piles in Big Foot Slough Channel. They are part of a dredge which sank in 1942.
In the 1940s and early 1950s, Ocracoke’s main link to the mainland was the privately owned and operated mail boat, Aleta.