Albert Styron’s Store

Quick Links:  Map it!  |  Gallery  |  Photo Spheres  |  Audio audio 24x24

Albert Styrons Store on Ocracoke Island

In the first half of the twentieth century Ocracoke boasted at least five general stores. Albert Styron’s store, established in 1920, served the needs of people living Down Point. Long wooden counters stood in front of sturdy wall shelves that held beans, flour, rice, cereal, canned milk, and every other staple sought after by island cooks. Irish potatoes (referred to as “iced taters” by locals), vegetables, soft drinks, milk, eggs, and even fresh meats rounded out the selections. Inside, the original counters, shelves and bead board walls and ceiling remain unchanged.

After several years of closure, Albert Styron’s Store reopened in 2015 as a gift shop.

Map It!

 audio 40x40 Audio Tour

Stop five – Albert Styron’s Store

Running time: 2:13 – Size: 1.6 MB

Next Stop – Ocracoke Lighthouse

Previous Stop – USLSS Boathouse

The Down Point audio tour was narrated by Philip Howard and Lou Ann Homan. It was originally designed to begin at Village Craftsmen on Howard Street, but you can join the tour at any point. To start at the beginning, go to the audio tour page for instructions.


Published:October 17, 2014

About Ocracoke

Bookmark the permalink

Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.